The ghost community of Underhill took its name from Mr. John Underhill
who arrived during the rush of settlement to this part of the prairies
in the early 1880s.
Three elevators were swiftly erected with the arrival of the railway.
Mr. A. E. Hill, who operated a store in nearby Hartney, opened a
general store in Underhill in 1897. It was followed by a second before
The first school in Underhill was called the Barber School No. 423 and
was constructed over a kilometre south of the village in 1886. In 1909
it was moved into the village where it stood until 1928. A new school
was built on the same site and used until 1961. The school building was
always a social centre for the district. Activities such as amateur
plays, Sunday School, card games and dances were held.
Passenger service to the Underhill station was discontinued in 1954.
Soon the railway line was ripped up and rural schools were consolidated
further shifting the focus from the small community to the larger
Barber School Cairn – Underhill
The Underhill District
Underhill Area Highlights
A.E. Hill Store
570.D.1 / 1899
Built by A.E.Hill, this later became a Co-op Store and the Carter
Chris Somerville Farm Site
570.G.3 / ca. 1910
Chris moved to Hartney ca. 1910. The large brick house, frame
outbuildings were still standing in 2013 on this large well-developed
Mrs. Weightman Stopping House Site
NE 9 – 5 - 22
Mrs. Weightman established a stopping house in 1882 and operated a Post
Office in the home (1883 - 1906) named West Hall after their home in
570.G.11 / ca. 1890 (Original Part)
There have been several additions and renovations to this old farm