after the railway was built, a survey was made of the village
of Fairfax and building lots were sold.
general store was built in 1900, was operated by Mr. J. L.
Hettle, who also became postmaster and Justice of the Peace. Three
grain companies were quick to build elevators.
school was established in August 1902. It became the
Fairfax consolidated school in 1913 when it merged with Crown, St.
Luke, and Plainville schools.
Fairfax & Area Highlights
Once owned by the Tufts - re-sided and remodeled
This frame building on its stone foundation is a good example of an
Ontario-style barn. The Grahams arrived from Ontario in 1881.
It is a Designated Municipal Heritage Site.
Fairfax Church Monument
159.F.1 / 1994
A church that once existed near this site originally hosted a
Presbyterian congregation, starting in 1903. From 1920 to 1969, it was
home for an Anglican church and, from 1925 to 1968, for a United
Church. A community centre used the building from 1969 to 1991, at
which time it was demolished. Some of the bricks from the original
building were used to build this monument. Also in this monument is
honour rolls listing those from the local area who served in the First
World War and the Second World War.