|Lauder & Region
Until the railway passed through Hartney on a path to Melita, Melgund
was where residents in the Lauder area got their mail. It had a school
and church as well. With the railway came the new towns of Lauder and
Napinka. As soon as town sites were laid out there were people on hand
eager to set up places of business and Lauder was no exception.
Before the end of 1892 there were numerous buildings and
businesses. In 1893 records for the town show seven married
couples, fifteen boys and ten girls, with ten children in school.
As was common in all too many of these new towns, there were setbacks.
A fire in 1894 did a lot of damage. The residents didn’t waste any time
– they rebuilt.
By 1895 the town layout was firmly established. It had a rink and
tennis courts and its curlers and tennis players were well known in
neighboring towns, as were its baseball and hockey teams. There was a
literary society and a bicycle club. Dances were held in Hamelin's hall.
Another typical business venture in many new towns was the “Cheese
In 1895 the farmers of the area met to make plans. General approval was
received and the factory was located just north of town. The rise in
the road at this point was known for years as the "cheese factory
hill". The milk was gathered daily in large barrels and the whey
returned to the farmers for feeding pigs. Henderson Directory 1897
lists W. Brigden as manager.
It did not last too long - probably not more than year. Other
enterprises included a mill and a lime kiln just north of Grand Bend
Lauder & Region Highlights
Melgund Post Office / Homesteader Cabin
285.G.4 / ca. 1884
W.J. Higgins applied for a Post Office, to be named Melgund, in 1884.
It was located on his homestead where this small shack served as home
& office until a larger home was built.
Huffman House - Lauder, Main Street
285.C.1 / 1904
One of the few inhabited fine brick homes that once lined the streets
Lauder United Church
Originally a Methodist Church this well-built structure has endured.
It features a service platform at front, alongside entrance and
displays details such as a pressed metal ceiling and wood pews.
It became a Union Church in 1917.
200 Lorne Street, Lauder
285.E.1 / 1912
Lauder Leisure Centre & Post Office
The bell remains in place. The building retains its bracketed eaves and
the transom over the entrance.
Lauder SD # 779
The first Lauder School
W.J. Higgins Farm House
285.G.4 / ca. 1905
W.J. Higgins was a pioneer and Postmaster.
Robert Grieves Farm House - NE 4-5-24
285.G.14 Ca. 1900
Built by Robert Grieves and now owned by Gylen Grieves. The property is
home to this fine brick home, a frame barn & shed.
Lorne St. Lauder
W. Bowles bought Lot 1,Block 1, in 1916. (Not this site) In 1920 John
Pentland bought a garage on Lot 1 Block 1 from Wm. Bowles.
Rink - Lauder
Pioneer Log House
SW 32-5-24 (Demolished ca. 2014)
Lath & plaster interior.
Photo in Lauder History p 17