| Glenora | Neelin | Louise
Siding | Holmfield
| Enterprise | Lena
| Anderson's Siding
coming of the railway in 1904, the village of Lena came into being. The
post office, operated for 13 years by Fred Burrows one mile south was
moved to Lena. The name was the result of a contest run by the post
office. James W. Johnston submitted the name 'Lena', that being the
name of his daughter.
The first store operated by A.B. Langenfeld was 40' x 60' with living
The Young Elevator came into existence shortly after the railway came
through. It was later bought by the Paterson Co. Some of the operators
were Billy Clements, Jack Sillers, Jim Miller, Andy Miller, Herman
Finnen, Keith Stewart, Wilfred Anderson, Bill Weibe, Ken McTaggart,
Dave Janzen and Larry VanCawenberghe.
Pool Elevator was organized by local farmers in 1928 and Frank Earley
had the distinction of being operator until he retired in 1960. Ross
Ferguson ran the Pool until 1961 when the railway was taken up and the
elevator sold to some local farmers.
Pool grain annex at Lena being moved to Killarney by Earl Gordon
provided employment for many people over the 57 years it ran through
Lena. Grain, livestock, cream and eggs were all shipped out with coal,
wood, Eaton orders, baby chicks, etc. coming in. The mail came by train
in the early days but later was delivered from Killarney by Davie Mason
with horses or truck as the weather dictated. Some of the people
working as station agents or track men were George Giddings, Herb
Hardy, Frank Sherman, Albert Rivest, Bill Watson, Raymond Lyons, Gus
Knutte, Tom Thorton and George Grant.
Source: Shelley Johnston-Frith
2022 - Crossroads News
The Wakopa Road Museum is hidden the trees top left.
For more about Lena ...