The Wakopa Subdivision
When the Southwest Branch reached Killarney and Boissevain in 1885,
patterns of commerce that had been in place for about five years,
changed overnight. The new towns created on that line eclipsed Wakopa
as commercial centres, and Wakopa area farmers were better off in that
they now had to travel only ten or twenty miles to the nearest
elevator. But there was always that hope that more branch lines would
and established farmers kept advocating for better service.
Around 1900 a proposal was being considered that would meet their
needs. A branch of the Canadian Northern Pacific line that had
established the towns of Baldur, Belmont and Wawanesa would connect to
that line near Greenway and proceed southwest to the Wakopa
region. In 1903, the work began on the Wakopa Subdivision, known
simply the “Wakopa Line” or just “The Wakopa”. The rails were laid to
Wakopa by 1906, and regular service began.