Schools

Schools in the Municipality of Two Borders

Arthur School

District #494 (1887-1958)
NW Corner 15-1-26.



Arthur School (circa 1911)

 

Known as Waskada School when it was first established in January 1887, the district took the name Arthur in 1910, from the Municipality of Arthur in which it was situated, and nearby Moira School took the Waskada name. It closed in January 1958 and the remaining students were bussed to Waskada Consolidated School No. 492. The building was sold and removed from the site. A commemorative plaque was erected there on 8 August 1982.


 

Photo from “Our First Century”

 

Arthur School Monument (October 2011)
 

 
Belses School

No. 501  (1897 – 1968)
SW 22-6-26

 

The Belses School District was established formally in March 1887, with a one-room frame schoolhouse constructed on the southwest corner of 22-6-26. The original building was replaced by the present one sometime before 1927. The district was dissolved in 1968 and the remaining students went to Pipestone Consolidated School No. 737. A commemorative plaque was unveiled near the former school building in 1987. The building itself was renovated into a private residence but, as of late 2011, stands vacant.



 





Beverley School

District No. 1344. (1906 – 1946)
SW 35-4-29 moved to SW 26-4-29 in 1912

 

To the south of what is now Tilston, a post office named Beverley had been opened up in 1894. The postmaster, Mr. Tiger, had come originally from Beverley in Yorkshire, England. The post office had closed in 1897 but, when in 1906 a school was opened in the same district, it became Beverley School District No. 1344.

The Beverley School District was organized formally in June 1905 and, the following year, a one-room schoolhouse opened at the southeast corner of SW35-4-29W in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. In 1912, it was moved to SW26-4-29W. The district was dissolved in 1946 and its area became part of the Tilston School District. The school building was moved beside the Tilston School where it was used for several years as an additional classroom. It was later renovated into a private residence and then became a workshop.



  Brown’s School

District #625 (1892 – 1959)
NE 22-4-27

 

The Brown School District was established formally in January 1891 and a school was erected the next year, on land loaned donated by Henry Brown.

It closed in 1959 and the district was dissolved in 1961. The remaining students went to Melita Consolidated School No. 440. The school building was later moved to Melita where it was renovated into a private residence. A monument commemorates it at the original site. The plaque on the monument gives its name as “Browns School” but available historical records indicate the name was Brown.

 


Butterfield School

No. 1328 (1905 - 1943)
SW 15-2-29  



The Butterfield School District was established formally in May 1904 and, by October 1905, it opened a school on the southwest corner of 15-2-29W in the Rural Municipality of Edward. The school closed in 1943 and, henceforth, students from this area were sent to Pierson School. As of 2012, the building still stands on the privately-owned site and is used for storage.


 

The school was sold in a public auction and is still there as of 2016



Copley School

No. 839 (1895 – 1955)

Located initially near S 4-1-29W, it was moved to SW16-1-29W in 1931.
(SE 11-1-29 moved to SW 16-1-29 about 1931/1932)



The Copley School District was established formally in January 1895, named for local homesteader Edward Copley Thompson, and it operated a school in the Rural Municipality of Edward. The school closed in 1956. As of 2012, the building still stands on the site.

 

 

 
Coulter School

District # 1772 (1915 – 1957)

 

The Coulter School District was established in February 1915 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the village of Coulter (NE35-1-27W) The school was built by R. Wyatt. The Forrester’s Hall was rented for classes until the building was completed.

In 1958, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Waskada Consolidated School District.

 



   

 
Cuthbert School

#633 (1891 – 1923)
W 20-3-28 moved to NW 13-3-29. Built 1891. Closed 1923.


 


 
The Cuthbert School pupils went to Pierson after 1923 and were given 25 a day for expenses. Later on this was cut to 1O. Mat Tole bought the school and moved it to Pierson and lived in it for a number of years. It then became the home of Billy McLean.
 



 
Dobbyn School

District #986 (1899 – 1909)
SW 3-4-26

 

Dobby School District was formed in 1899, on SW 3-4-26 with 11 students. The average number of students in the nine year period of operation was 13 with the largest number being 21 in the winter of 1906. The cost of operating the school in 1904 was $643.10. The school consolidated with Melita No. 440 in June 1909, when a van was put into service conveying pupils from the country.



The Dublin School

District#1095 (1901 – 1964)
SW 22-6-28



Dublin School was built in 1905 on land which was part of the Kendrick homestead and so it was named Dublin after New Dublin near Brockville, Ontario. It was from there that the Kendricks had come.



The district bwas established formally in January 1901, and a one-room frame schoolhouse was erected. The school closed in 1964 and its remaining students went to Reston Consolidated School No. 141. The former school building was sold and removed from the site but a monument dedicated on 27 July 1985 commemorates it.

 
 
 
Elva School

District #694 (1891 – 1974)
25-3-28 2km N & 1 km W of where the village
Village 18-3-27 – 1890’s



The first school was located on 25-3-28 2km N & 1 km W of where the village was located. Elva. The school was moved to the village in 1898. Around 1904 a new larger school was erected.



Elva School District was formally established in May 1892 and a school was erected northwest of Elva in the late 1890s. It was moved into Elva in 1898 and, four years later, replaced by a larger, two-storey frame building, located at N49.21649, W101.11817. A new elementary school was built in 1965. It closed in 1974 due to school consolidation. Its former location is marked by a monument.

 



 
  


Fulton School


# 1892  (1919 – 1933)
NE 32-3-29

 

Fulton school closed in 1927 and Opened again in Feb. 1933, and then closed in Dec. 1933.




Huston School

District No. 770 (1894 – 1961)
SE 2-6-27
 


Huston School District was registered in 1894. It was named for Fred Huston who gave the land for the site and helped to organize the district. It operated on the southeast corner of 2-6-27. The district was dissolved in 1961 and, henceforth, students from this area went to Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363, Paramount School No. 1289, Kinloss School No. 934, or Belses School No. 501. The former school building was later used for storage.

 

2012



Lyleton School

District  #731 (1893 – 1971)
SE 15-1-28

Old school sold and torn down.  School bell saved in and mounted in Lyleton Park



The Lyleton School District was established formally in January 1893 and a school was erected where the Lyleton Cemetery is presently situated, on land donated by local farmer Amos Moore Lyle. In 1902, when the village of Lyleton was developed along the Canadian Pacific Railway, classes were transferred to the village community hall and the old school became White School No. 1326.






In 1906, a two-room school opened in Lyleton teaching grades 1 to 11. White School closed in 1912 when it was consolidated with Lyleton School to form the Lyleton Consolidated School No. 731. A new two-room school for grades 1 to 8 was constructed on the northeast corner of the property in 1965 and the former school was demolished. Its bell was put atop a local monument.

 

 



Napinka School

District # 829 (1884 – 1975)
Napinka
First site: NW 20-4-25

 

  Napinka School is a rare example in Manitoba of an early school based on a two-room plan and constructed of fieldstone rather than the more common wooden frame and walls. The building, one of the last remaining schools from ca. 1900 in Manitoba’s southwest corner, was developed using local materials and the skills of local labour, notably stonemason I.J. Phinney, who undertook much of the work.

The first school was situated on NW 20-4-25. The stone school was built in ca. 1900.



Historic Resources Branch
Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 104



 


Peninsula School

No. 907 (1897-1961)
NW 35-2-27
Established in April 1897, the school was merged into Melita Consolidated School No. 440 in January 1961. 



 

As of 1891 Peninsula School is now owned by a third generation Yeo of Calgary whose intention is to preserve it as a historical site. It still exists on site


  

 


Sourisford School

District #906 (1899 – 1961)
NW 29-2-27

 
 
Established in April 1897, in the Rural Municipality of Arthur, the district was dissolved in 1961, and henceforth students from this area went to Melita Consolidated School No. 440 or Edward Municipal School No. 2353. As of 2012, the building still stands on its original site. For a time the community continued to use it.

 

2012
 


 
Stonehill School


No. 1148 (1902 - 1958)

 

The Stonehill School District was established formally in August 1901, with a one-room frame schoolhouse was constructed the next year at SW 35-5-28W. The district was dissolved in 1958 and remaining students went to Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363.



Mrs. Chris Peterson, an early settler's wife, gave the district its name and probably she was thinking of the stony terrain of the new district, a fact mentioned by much later settlers than she.

 

 
Verona School

District No. 409 (1886-1958)
15-1-26 (1887)
First site NE 16-2-26.

 

The Verona School District was formed in July 1885. Debentures were issued to finance the construction of a school building on the northeast quarter of 16-2-26. The first classes began in April 1886. In 1897, the school was moved to 15-1-26W. A new building was constructed at the same site in 1918, featuring a full basement, coal room, store room, cistern, and indoor toilet. In addition to supporting the educational activities of the district, the school also served as a community centre for church services, socials, and meetings. The school closed in January 1958 and became part of Waskada Consolidated School No. 492. The school building was still standing as of August 1982, when a commemorative plaque was erected at the site.


 
The first Verona School (circa 1911)


 

 

White School

#1326 (1902 – 1912)



In 1902, when the village of Lyleton was developed along the Canadian Pacific Railway, classes were transferred to the village community hall and the old school became White School No. 1326.

White School closed in 1912 when it was consolidated with Lyleton School to form the Lyleton Consolidated School No. 731




Wicks School

No. 1436 (1907 – 1953) 
SW 21-3-29

 

The Wicks School District was established formally in September 1907 and it operated a one-room schoolhouse at SW21-3-29W in the Rural Municipality of Edward. The school closed in June 1953. As of 2012, the building is used as a garage on the privately-owned site.
 

 









 





Bede School

District No. 1683  (1913-1966)
SE 19-5-26

 

Bede School opened in the Rural Municipality of Albert in May 1913, in the southeast quarter of 19-5-26 west of the Principal Meridian, and operated until June 1966. At that time, its remaining students went to Melita Consolidated School No. 440. The building stood vacant at the original site for some time, but at the time of a 2011 site visit, it had been repaired and was being used by a business selling local crafts.



 


Belfry School

District No. 626
(1891-1956)
SW12-4-28
SW5-4-27

 

Belfry School was established in January 1891, with a frame building erected in the southwest quarter of 12-4-28 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Arthur. Land for the school was provided by local farmer Warren Belfry, from whom the school name was derived. Five years later, the building was moved to its present location at SW5-4-27W. With declining enrollment, the school closed in 1963.




 
Bernice School


No. 547   (1888 – 1914)
SE23-5-26
 


Near the school building is a cairn, erected in July 1988, commemorating the teachers, students and families of Bernice School No. 547, which was established as Gould School at SW22-5-26W in the Rural Municipality of Albert, and operated between 1888 and 1914. It became Bernice (Berneice) School in 1914, situated at SE23-5-26, continuing until 1965 when it became part of Napinka Consolidated School No. 2369. A nearby station of the Canadian Pacific Railway, also named Bernice, existed at NE14-5-26 from 1906 to 1952.






 
Broomhill School

No. 985 
(1899 – 1957)
NW12-5-28


 
    The Broomhill School District was established in January 1899. It was southeast of the hamlet which name it bore and which had been named for the village in Scotland from which the Kilkenny family had come.



The first school building was destroyed by fire in June 1936. A new structure was ready for resumption of classes that fall. It closed in June 1957 and merged with Hathaway School No. 717, located in the nearby hamlet of Broomhill, to become Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363. The former school building was moved to Broomhill to be used as a teacherage then later as a community centre. In 1963, local trustees purchased a temporary classroom from the Antler River School Division, moved it to the site, and renovated it with indoor washrooms. It was later sold and moved to the Pipestone area. A monument is situated at the former school site.



Chesterfield School

District # 408 (1885 – 1959)
SW 22-3-26



The Chesterfield School District was established in June 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW10-3-26W. It was named after Chester Field Warren who homesteaded nearby and started a store and Post Office. In 1964, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Melita Consolidated School District and later the Antler River School Division. Records for the school are held at the Antler River Museum in Melita.


 

 
Coates School

District #1091 (1910 – 1934)
SW 35-4-29 moved to SW 26-4-29 about 1907
SE 25-4-28?


 

The Coates School District was organized formally in August 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse buit by R.N. Wyatt. The district was dissolved in 1956 and its catchment area became part of the Edward Municipal School District.

 



Coultervale School 

District #515 (1888- 1968)
SE 16-1-27



The first one room school was built in 1888. While the school was being built children were taught in a building on Angus Bells homestead at NW 22-1-27.



The Coultervale School District was established formally in June 1887. The original building was replaced in 1914 by the present one-storey, two-classroom yellow brick veneer structure, built at a cost of $4,800. In 1968, it became part of the Antler River School Division. In August 2000, the former school (which now serves as a community centre) became a municipally-designated historic site.
    
     
  Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 200

  While one-room schools were the most common educational facility in rural areas, as the system became more sophisticated and populations grew it became necessary to build larger schools. One popular solution was to simply add another room, creating a two-roomed building. Coultervale School, built in 1914 by Robert Wyatt, is an excellent example of this kind of building. Comfortingly symmetrical and with a casual hipped roof and formal entry porch, the building surely was a source of pride to students, parents and school officials. Moreover, it is built with a brick veneer, a luxury not often seen on rural schools.



 
Crescent School

No. 792 (1896 – 1957)

 

The Crescent School District was established formally in January 1894. A one-room schoolhouse was built in 1896 on the northeast corner of 14-6-29 west of the Principal Meridian, operating there until 1951. It was replaced in 1951 by a school at SE23-6-29W which closed in1957 and the remaining students went to Sinclair Consolidated School No. 1051. The former school building was moved to Reston where it was used as a golf clubhouse. The district was dissolved in August 1966. A commemorative monument at the original site was dedicated on 27 July 1986.





Diana School District

No. 1355 ( 1906 1962)
NE20-6-29

 

In the early 1900's Icelandic settlers came to live in the-very northwest corner of the municipality. They also wanted a school for their children so land was donated by settler Gudnundar Davidson, a school was built, and Diana School District No. 1355 came into being. It is known that it was built in 1905 but it is not known why they chose to name it Diana.

The Diana School District was established in January 1906 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE20-6-29W in the Rural Municipality of Albert. The school was closed between 1944 and 1947 then closed permanently in June 1962. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Sinclair Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. The former school building was sold and moved away from the site.


 
Eagleton (later Tilston)

No. 1437  (1908 - 1920)



Mr. A. Lapointe, who was the first postmaster and also carried the mail from Sinclair, chose the name Eagleton from a list of names shown to him. When the C.P.R. came to the district, they requested that names be submitted for naming the new townsite and Tilston, the name of Harold Bateman's home town in England was chosen. In September 1909 the name Tilston became official but it was 1920 before the school changed from Eagleton. School started in January, 1908 and by August of the same year it was consolidated and vans, were put on the road. The first consolidated district was fifty-two sections but, in the 1940's, Beverley school was annexed and it became known as Union Consolidated School District No. 1437.

    

 
Eunola School

No. 921 (1899 – 1962)
SE11-4-29W
First- SW 7-4-28
It was moved to SW2-4-29W in 1900 and to SE11-4-29W in 1918.




 

The Eunola School District was established formally in January 1898. A one-room schoolhouse measuring was built later that year on the southwest corner of 7-4-28. It was moved to SW2-4-29W in 1900 and to SE11-4-29W in 1918. The building was destroyed by fire on 16 April 1937. Students attended classes in a nearby home until a replacement school could be built.



In November 1937, the present school building opened at SE11-4-29W. Replicas of the two schools made by local craftsman Walter Tucker and unveiled during the Pierson centennial celebrations on 5-7 July 1991, are present at the site. A commemorative cairn is nearby. In January 1992, the school became a municipally designated historic site and it underwent renovations in 2008, including replacement of its windows. Inside the building, which is still used as a community centre, are school desks, photographs of teachers and other pioneers, and a book listing teachers, reminiscences of former students, and other historical information.






Gould School

District No. 547  (1888 – 1914)
SW 22-5-26

Gould School  was registered with the department in 1890. It was named after the Gould families who were its earliest settlers. In 1914, the name was changed to Bernice. The new name honored Bernice Baker daughter of one of the earliest settlers.





 
Hathaway School

District No. 717 (1892 -1958)
Broomhill Village
First on SE 15-5-27





The Hathaway School District was formally established near the community of Broomhill in July 1892. It was first situated close to the homestead of Burton Hathaway and so named after him. Later it was moved into the hamlet of Broomhill.

It operated until 1958, when it merged with Broomhill School No. 985 to become Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363 in a new building, with the former school building sold to a local farmer for use as living quarters for hired help. The old Broomhill school building was brought to town for use as a teacherage and, after the school closed, it was used for community events. The consolidated school building was moved to Melita around 1963 where it was used as a classroom at Melita Consolidated School No. 440.



Kinloss School

District No. 934  (1899 – 1961)
NE 19-6-27
      


The Kinloss School District was established formally in March 1898, and a one-room frame school building was erected. The school closed in 1961 and the district was dissolved in 1964. Its remaining students went to Reston Consolidated School No. 141. The school building was sold and is no longer present at the site, but a monument dedicated on 26 July 1987 commemorates it. A plaque attached to the monument lists the surnames of families who settled in the Kinloss area between 1899 and 1962.



1986




       
 
Melita School


District #440  (1886 – Present)
Melita Mb.
First site - SE corner of 2-4-27



The first school was built on the Manchester site ( SE corner of 2-4-27) about 2 km west of the current town.

 

  The present town of Melita ws created with the arrival of the railway in 1891 and in 1893 construction was started on the Melita School. (E.A. Blakeway (Contractor) and W.H. Shillinglaw (Architect)) A large addition was completed in 1905.



North Antler School

No. 514 (1888 - 1951)
NE 9-2-28
1897 - moved to SE14-2-28



The North Antler School District was established formally in August 1887 and a school was erected the next year, on the northeast quarter of 9-2-28 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Edward. In 1897, it was moved to SE14-2-28W. The school closed in June 1951 and the district was merged into the Edward Municipal School District. A monument commemorating it was dedicated in 1988.

 


Paramount School

No. 1289 (1905 - 1964)
NW23-6-27

 

Paramount School was named for the school which Mrs. Thomas Harper, pioneer of the district, had attended in Ontario.

In 1964, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Reston Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. As of mid-2016, the former school building was standing at SE20-6-27W, being used as a garage.



Pierson School

No. 685 (1892 – present)
SE 1-3-29


 
The Pierson School District was established formally in February 1892 and it operated a school in Pierson in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. In 1956, it became the Edward Municipal School District. Three years later, it became part of the Antler River School Division.





Roblin School

No. 1046 (1899 - 1947)
SW 33-3-28

 

The Roblin School District was established formally in July 1899, named for local settler M. P. Roblin, and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW33-3-28. In the early 1930s, the school closed due to low student enrollment. It reopened in the mid-1940s then closed permanently in June 1947. The district became part of the Edward Municipal School District in 1956. The former school buildings were sold and used for a time as a private residence. No vestige of them remain at the site today.



South Antler School

District #351 (1915 – 1954)
SE 6-2-27

 

Built on SE 6-2-27 by R.N. Wyatt.

The South Antler School District was established formally in November 1884 and through the years it operated schools at three sites. From 1885 to 1888, the school was situated at 28-1-27W then, from 1888 to 1914 at 4-2-27W. Destroyed by fire in the latter year, a new wood frame, one-classroom structure was built at SE6-2-27W, opening in 1915. The school closed in 1954. A rock monument commemorates the school at this location, about two miles east of its former site.

 

First school. Photo from “Our First Century)
 


 

 
Tilston School


No. 1437 (1908 – 1987)



The Eagleton Consolidated School District was established formally in August 1907 and, in 1908, a temporary classroom was built at this site in the village of Eagleton, as the village of Tilston (was known at that time. The village was renamed the following year, but the school name remained unchanged. In January 1910, the original building was replaced by a two-storey, two-room brick veneer structure, built on a stone basement on a two-acre property. Accommodating students in grades 1 to 11, it became Tilston Consolidated School in 1920. The present one-storey, four-room school was built in 1947 and the old building was demolished.



A commemorative monument (with the original school bell) and replica of the former school building were erected during a reunion held on 5 August 1990. 




 
West Brenda School


District # 388 (1882 – 1949)
NW 20-4-26

 

The West Brenda School District was established formally in April 1885 and it operated a school on the northeast corner of 20-4-26W. The district was dissolved in 1960 and, henceforth, students from this area went to Melita Consolidated School No. 440. The former school building still stood at the time of a 2012 site visit.
 


 

2012