Regional Museums
Current  Feature 
History Resources
Our Community News


Community


While in Boissevain check out…

Murals, The Heritage Tree, Heritage Walking Tour

The United, Anglican and Presbyterian Historic  Churches

While in the region check out…

The International Peace Gardens
Turtle Mountain Provincial Park – Lakes, Campgrounds, Hiking Trails
The Wakopa Cairn – Site of the first Trading Post and Village on the Boundary Commission Trail


Historic Sites Mapped










Post Offices

Adelpha
3-2-19 - 1884 – 1892
Edward Dodd

Bannerman
15-1-18
1908 – 1956
John Spafford

Boissevain
November 1, 1886, ten months after the first train arrived on December 25, 1885. Alex McKnight was the postmaster.


Desford
15-2-20 (1882 - 1896)
14-2-19 (1908 - 1955)
Erskine Nicoll - in his store

Dunallen
34-4-20
1891  - 1926
Facey farm home.

Fairburn
4-3-19 
1884 - 1893.
Samuel Oke


Haviland
10-4-20
1887 - 1892.

Hyder – see Rowland

Lyonshall
32-2-18
1884 – 1906
Orson Martin


Nimita (Nimitau)
31-3-20
1884 - 1886
Nimita (Indian for Wise Ones or Council), on 34-3-20 W.P.M., opened with James Rae in charge and closed two years later on when the post office opened in Boissevain.

Ninga / Lyonshall 
28-2-18
April 1, 1884 - January 8, 1906.
Orson Martin

The name was changed to Lyonshall with Samuel Jones in charge, on November 1, 1889, while the former name was given to the new office located on 19-3-18 W.P.M. on December 1, 1889, with William McKnight as postmaster.

Rayfield
32-3-19
1884 – 1888
William Neigh
W. Latimer farm home

Rowland / Hyder
10-4-18
December 1, 1884  November 3, 1918.

George Haight tending the office. On July 1, 1895, the name was changed to Hyder.

Wakopa (Lariviere) 
29-1-18 
32-1-18
1882 - 1969
Lariviere, renamed Wakopa (White Father) by the local Indians who admired the old white-haired man who owned the trading post so named. The postmaster was Lariviere's son in law, Clovis Guerin. Later moved to the village.

Wassewa
19-2-20
24/2/21
August 1, 1885 – 1923
George Morton was the postmaster. Records do not indicate when it closed. Wassewa (meaning good or friendly light) was named by the Indians because of the beacon light kept burning at the gate as a guide to travellers along the Commission and Morton Trails. Moved in 1906. Henry Wood was the last postmaster.

Rural Cemeteries

All Saints

Wakopa Cemetery


Other Sites

Desford Cairn
15-2-19

Wakopa Cairn
NE29-1-18

Bannerman Sign
15-1-18



Rural Churches

All Saints Anglican

Burnside
NW 19-2-19 ?
1890 - 1925

Rowland United Church
13-4-18
Still standing in 2018

St. John's Anglican (Desford)
14-2-20 
1899 - 1965


Pre-Contact Sites












Post Offices

Abigail / Whitewater
12-4-21
1884
14-4-21
Changed to Whitewater
D. Duncan
Joseph McCutcheon

Coatstone
32-2-22
1910 – 1916
William Brown Sr.

Dand
27-4-23
1914 – 1969
H.A. Fogel


Deloraine
19-2-22
NE 30-2-22
3-3-23
1882
George F. Newcombe, Dominion Lands Officer, also served as postmaster until 1883. Apparently the post office there was located in the same building as the land office where all those filing for homesteads had to register.
James Cavers was the first postmaster located in his general store in the village of “Old Deloraine”.

Post Offices

Regent / Wapaha
20-4-21
1884
E. B. Madill home
1915, the name was changed to Regent and relocated on 36-4-22 W.P.M. with A. P. McClue as postmaster. This was upon completion of the Lauder railway line.

Turtle Mountain City
32-2-21
1882 - 1909
A.N. Tregent in charge, had a partner by the name of Beck. They had a small store and also sold walking plows and harrows made of oak from the Turtle Mountains.

Wapaha / Regent
20-4-21 – 1884
30-4-21 1889
In the E. B. Madill home and was closed on May 4, 1888
However it re-opened May 1,1889, with John Hymers in charge. On May 1, 1915, the name was changed to Regent and relocated on 36-4-22 W.P.M. with A. P. McClue as postmaster. This was upon completion of the Lauder railway line.

Whitewater (Village)
1889 – 1969
George Morton (Store)



Rural Churches

Bidford - Parsonage?