to the federal government for a post office generally followed quickly
settlement of a new region. The
name Melgund first appears as a Post Office opened in 1882 in the
home of area pioneer W.J. Higgins a few kilometres southwest of
Hartney. As towns were established the office might be located in a
store or other business. Eventually federally-build structures
following a selection of plans appeared.