Fish Lake Metis Cemetery - Lake Metigoshe area.
the eraly days, Métis community members who died were buried at a
local cemetery along Dromore Lake referred to by Elders as “the hill
cemetery” but also known as the Fish Lake Cemetery. It was established
on the Elzear McLeod homestead around 1910, likely as a resting place
for Louis McLeod’s baby daughter. Sometime early in the 1920s,
municipal councilors established it as an official gravesite. The
Catholic Church consecrated it and a priest was in attendance for at
least one funeral. Sometimes the funeral ceremony would be held in the
nearby McLeod home.
No crosses or markers remain but local elders have been able to
identify the general location of the burial grounds.
Although wooden crosses once marked the resting place of Louis Racine
Sr. and a few other important elders of the Metis Community, only a few
low mounds offer any clues as to the location of individual graves.
Fish Lake was the earlier name for nearby Lake
McLeod farm - site of original property owner of the Fish Lake Cemetery
Diana Icelandic Cemetery
region was settled by Icelandic settlers, beginning in 1892. Some
came from the R.M. of Argyle.
A fenced cemetery in the north-west corner of the Municipality of Two
Borders, in a farm field
about one-third of a mile from the nearest road, contains the graves of
Johann Gottfred (1898), Thelma Regina Tait (1901), Baby Kristjanson
(1916), Einar Johannesson (1916), Gestur Davidson (1919), Thorsteinn
Einarsson (1921), and Margret Oddson (1921). A monument in the cemetery
lists their names.
The Melita Cemetery Chapel / Vault was built in 1908. The 2-storey
structure features a storage rack for coffins in lower level.
It is built into hillside for access from outside.
Old Deloraine Cemetery
"Old" Deloraine was just south of where the railway created "New"