/ West Hall
This is an example of of railway siding that never became, or perhaps
was never intended to become, a village.
When a new rail line was built into a region the plan was to have a
town about every fourteen kilometres. But that left many farmers
some distance to haul their grain and smaller sidings were sometimes
added. The line from Boissevain to Lauder
was built in 1913, near the end of an era of intense railway expansion
The station, a converted railway car, was called Hathway, but the
communit has roots in the early settlement days.
Mrs. Weightman operated a stopping house and a Post Office in her home
beginning in 1883. It was called West Hall in memory of the Weightman
farm home in England. A site was chosen on the Weightman property
for a school, also to be to be named West Hall.