The site in 2016
The sign once read "Bannerman, Pop. 3"
Of all the newly-created villages along the Great Northern
line from North Dakota to Brandon, the rise and fall of Bannerman
was the most dramatic. In 1905 as line approached, the town of
Bannerman sprang into existence with excitement and a sense of
possibility, the first and only port of entry by rail west of Emerson
in Manitoba. The Manitoba Telegram ventured the opinion that it
would become “ a good live town” and that “busy little centres will be
established” at all the townsite points along the route. When the rail
line closed in 1936 the once-imp0ortant village began to fade away.