|The church was consecrated in the
fall of 1892 as St George’s Anglican
Church. Locally it was known as the Butterfield or Copley Church. The
name Butterfield was taken from an early post office that served the
area, and Copley was the name of the school district, which was named
after an early settler.
A small cemetery was soon established on the west side of the church.
The first burial in the cemetery took place in October of 1892 after
the death of young Claude Gale, the infant son of Mr and Mrs Goddard
Gale. There are reportedly 11 graves in the cemetery, though only three
headstones exist on the site today.