and the R.M.
A decade of Growth – Fire - Rebuilding
William McDonald moves his blacksmith shop from the Hartney farm into
William Hopkins builds the three-storey James Hopkins General Store
which lapter became the Hartney Hotel.
The first C.P.R. train from Brandon reaches Hartney Dec. 25, 1890
– the town was already well on its way to becoming the commercial
centre of the district
Methodist Church built
91.01.29 Brandon Sun
91.05.28 Brandon Sun
Joseph Young builds a house on Poplar Avenue facing Spencer later
veneered with brick to become the 1st brick veneer house in town.
Local Business Established in 1891:
Beuttner Bros shop established - tinsmith / furnaces.
Henry Galbraith buys Mr. Young’s Hotel renamed The Commercial
Hotel & Livery Stable – applies for liquor license, but
denied due to temperance sentiment.
Dr. McEown sells his Drugstore to Dr.Woodhull on the condition that Dr.
Woodhull not establish a medical practice in competition. Woodhull Drug
91.01.29 Brandon Sun
Map of the Province of Manitoba Showing the Division into Provincial
Image Courtesy of University of Manitoba Archives & Special
When the line was finally built the name Airdrie was assigned to the
new station. Local residents protested and the name was changed to
Lacrosse Team organized by Woodhull & William Hopkins.
Batty & livery Stable – lost in 2 fires.
Aug 12 - Masonic Lodge of Hartney formed.
Meglund Church built.
A band of Yankton Sioux moves north into Sioux Valley, but are expelled
by the Indian Council at this Reserve. They then move down the
Souris Valley living in the Lauder-Hartney sandhill area for
sometime. By 1893 they hav established a camp in the Moose
Mountains. Here they find themselves sharing a forested region
with their old enemies, the Rebel Assiniboines, who had broken away
from the Yanktons in the 17th century.
Local Business Established in 1892:
W.E. Crawford - jewellery store.
Festus Chapin - implements - the first of a succession of
Richard Shore - John Deere dealer
William Osborne - insurance, real estate, notary, conveyancer
G.S. Hallen as lawyer & wife as piano teacher
Charles Batty’s Tailor Shop
Brass Band formed – Dr. Woodhull as leader.
First School opens in a room over Chapin’s implement
First school built – replacing Webb – still called Webb
Anglican congregation formed under Rev. Wm Butterworth
Presbyterian Church (St. Paul’s) built
Presbyterian Church – built 1892
The Canadian Order of Foresters No. 347 formed as Court Napinka;
amalgamated with others
William Laughland wins Diploma at 1902 World Fair in Paris. This
prompted requests for Red Fife Wheat.
92.06.23 Brandon Sun
Tennis Club formed
Farmers’ Institute established. James Fee a founding
member. It served as a forum for farmers. They met monthly –
exchanged ideas took turns making presentations on area of expertise.
34 of the most progressive farmers met at his house and signed
the necessary petition.
H.C. Pierce establishes a Pump Factory
Local Business Established in 1893:
Doctor Woodhull (with Mr. Rutherford) establishes the Hartney Star in
1893. Operates it with his father and brother.
Publishes (and writes) a monthly called the “Poultry
Journal”, entering the poultry business to gain expertise. First
issue of 600 copies
Hothman & John Blair livery stable opens
Clyde - Stallion & Horse breeding
Mrs. O’Brien and her sons open a small hotel.
McDonald’s livery stable
Isabey machine shop
1893 – Flour mill of Hammond & Leckie & merchant from
Jackson City, Mich.
Spring and Fall millinery opening at local stores
Farmer’s Institute established in Hartney
Lillian May Dickson dies
Riverside Cemetery Co. established, It operated until 1910 then was
handed over to town.
A Bridge to cemetery wisbuilt
Population is 375
1st cream separator purchased by J.E. Maples
1st self feeder owned by Lockhart & Vandusen
Ed Hornibook has a mechanical band cutter
Tennis Club formed by Rev. Butterworth
Hartney – Lauder Ag Society Established
Feb 16 - Charter given to Hartney Odd Fellows Lodge
Baptist Church built
Organized Curling begins
First Hockey Team formed
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church established.
H.C. Pierce Pump Factory manufactures 1000 pumps.
Hammond and Leckie begin construction of a Flour Mill
Alice and Ida Edwards establish a thriving dress-making business in
Hartney. They had moved to the community from Melita by 1893.
The Edwards Sisters
St. Andrew’s Anglican church built at a cost of $1500
Prairie fires are in the news.
The establishment of new buildings & new businesses continues.
1st hockey game is played and various sports are popular.
First curling in Hartney - club formed in 1895-96, winter.
The first formal dance is held.
Ed Hornibrook, an implement dealer, builds an outdoor skating
Government done through R.M. of Winchester.
A big fire wipes out main business block in April. Both hotels
lost in the fire. Only Hunter’s Hardware, Woodhull’s drug
store and Bradley’s General Store were left standing.
The O’ Briens soon build a new hotel, the Avondale
Harry Payne begins making brick west of town.
Harry Payne – brickmaker and businessman
A.E. Hill Store opens.
Flour Mill gets James Innes as miller & D. Lewers as engineer.
Pipeline is built to the riverbank.
5 elevators in town / 8 grain buyers in town.
John Blair assumes postmaster duties (until 1904).
First C.P.R. Agent: 1896 Charles Redpath.
Social Recreational Activity:
Checkers Club – organized by David Leckie.
Orange Lodge established.
Dancing Club – “Assemblies”.
Special Assembly held at the Chapin Hall.
R.M. of Cameron becomes a separate entity.
Ed Hornibrook prepares 2 curling sheets and a skating rink
Rumours circulate about the extension of a Northern Pacific line
through the region
New R.M. of Cameron established from part of the R.M. of
Brass Band 1897
Webb School is renamed Hartney School.
A liquor license petition is disallowed prompting the O’Briens to
leave the hotel business.
Local team wins Western Canada lacrosse Championship at Winnipeg.
Mrs. Logie organizes a choral society.
William Sackville discovers better clay on the NE corner of the section
on which the town was built. William Kirkland, an experienced
brickmaker works with him. It becomes a large enterprise.
William Kirkland came to make bricks and became a long-term Hartney
Fire destroys Woodhull Drug Store.
The Star reports 25 threshing outfits and 150 men off excursion trains.
Hartney Machine and Motors established by Edmond Isabey.