Our Heritage  Special Places Project

Site Inventory / Page 9 / Marringhurst & Area

Marringhurst Heritage House (Wilson House)
NW 20-3-12
1910

History

Richard Milner Wilson – son of John, area pioneer – came west in 1879
- Councilor
- leader in forming the Grain Growers Association – director for 6 years

Features

- designated site
- fine interior – many “modern” conveniences
- well maintained / museum



Marringhurst School
NW 30-3-12
1892

History

- first school organized in 1881-82
- log building  built 1882

Features

-  fine, well-maintained features and interior
-  photos and artifact on display
- cairn & park
- also used as a Methodist Church / United Church until 1967.


Marringhurst Cemetery
W 24-3-12
1889

History

Donated by Mr. Bell and Mr. Bellehouse

Features

-  the cemetery pre-dates the establishment of towns that followed the arrival of the railway
- helps preserve the identity of the region



McWilliams Farm Site
SW 19-3-12
1902

History

Original Owner of Land – Margaret Ede
1922 Owner A. McWilliams

Alex McWilliams and family settled here in 1890, living in the  “half-way house” a rest place for travelers going west. (L-shaped Log Dwelling.)
Four generations of McWilliams have lived in the brick house he had built in 1902.


Features

Brick House – Frame Outbuildings

- large L-Shaped Brick farm home
-  large well-conceived farm site
- some outbuildings are atypical for a farm site and may have been moved to the site
- false-fronted shop style building
- small house-like building  (bunkhosue/)