Our Heritage  Special Places Project

Site Inventory / Page 1 / Public Buildings and Churches

Baldur Post Office
Second Street
1933, Addition, 1957

History

Original Building Function: Post Office
Present Building Function: Post Office

Features

Wood Frame construction

Baldur Hospital
Elizabeth Ave.
1952

History

Land donated by Frank Schultz

Frelsis (Grund) Church
NW 12-6-14
1889

History

Land bought from Sigurjon Snidal
Carpenters Byring Hallgrimson and Arni Sveinson
Belfry/Steeple added in 1896

Features

Wood siding, tower / entrance.
Many original interior features
Designated Heritage Site

Baldur United Church
Second Street and Currie Ave.
1904


History

Built 1904 for a Methodist Congregation

Features

- variety of window shapes
- nice tower / date stone
- auditorium plan – wood wainscoting
- photo of construction and of interior in James Wall Collection


St. Mark's Anglican Church
Oak Creek Road n., Baldur
1898


History

Features

- nice brickwork
- modest scale – nice trim
- good windows


St. Immanuel Lutheran Church
Oak Creek Road North
1907


History

Arni Sveinson - Head Carpenterce

Features

- wood siding
- nice central tower


Baldur Cemetery
NW 12-5-14
1907


History

Cemetery Co. purchased land from Tom Cramer Sold shares:  Dr.Cleghorn chair / Alex Fowler secretary.

Features

Grund Cemetery
NE 11-6-14


History

2 Acres donated by Johannes Sigurdson

Features


Baldur War Memorial
Elizabeth Ave.
ca. 1925

History




Johnson Family Cemetery
SW 21-5-14
1907


History

Established by Johann & Groa Jonson, the only private cemetery in Argyle.

Features

Beautiful hilltop location.

Victoria Church Site
SW 21-6-14
1943


History

Methodist Congregation
Byring Hallgrimson made the pews
Closed 1943


Features

Good Templars Hall / Argyle Hall
W 12-6-14
1903-1905


History

1903 as Good Templars Hall. Enlarged 1905 and name changed to Argyle Hall Independent Order of Good Templars, Idunn Lodge No. 3.
Sold to Siggi Johnson 1960's


Features


Memorial Hall
First Street
1938


History

Donated by John Clark in memory of his wife Hanna
became Forresters Hall in1970



Legion Hall
First Street
1933, Addition, 1957

History

Purchased &renovated for use in 1950's
1975 -  turned back to Community for uses as Drop  In Centre
1970's addition incorporated part of Greenway Hall

Jones Lake / Kiwanis Beach
 

History

Popular swimming and picnic spot. Supported by local Kiwanis Club. Site of first Bru Community Picnic 1884

Baldur Veterans' Park
Elizabeth Ave. 

Railway (CN) land

BCWAO Flower Committee


Sunshine Highway
36-5-14
1919

History

Proposed in 1919 as a link between Brandon and Devil's lake ND
As of 1921 Sunshine Highway was a network of roads comprising a designated route from Brandon southeast to link with highway system in North Dakota (Devils Lake). It passes through Rounthwaite, Wawanesa, Methven, Ashdown, Baldur Glenora, and Crystal City (Brandon:A City). Part of that route ran along what was also the most direct route between Baldur and Glenboro, since replaced by #5 Highway

Two portions of the road that were replaced as the road was straightened have been preserved as a pathway by  the owners of the property.

Old Pioneer Trail
36-6-14


History

Wagon tracks from the earliest days of settlement

Tri-Leaf Colony Cemetery


Colony located on former Davidson Farm, originally homesteaded by John Strang

Only Hutterite Cemetery in Argyle
-


Former School Barn
 

History

Unknown origin

Features

Wood Frame construction