Regional Online Resource
|Local History Books
Scans a Century
Salter / Hederson Coal Mines
Deloraine / Winchester Photo Collection
/ Winchester Map Collection
"Our History" Articles
Weightman Makes a Fresh Start
The Half-Way House
The Metigoshe Metis Community
of the Metigoshe Community
II, Page 8
frequent visits to Turtle Mountain the Metis did not permanently settle
there until the early 1900s.
III, Page 39
the Belgian community living on the slopes of Turtle Mountain and their
priest, Father P. E. Halde decided to build themselves a church wherein
they could pursue their worship of the Catholic faith.
IV, Page 22
Deloraine, in the
first part of the twentieth century, if someone mentioned "The Doctor"
it could refer to only one person: Dr. Thornton.
Mountainside Store Operator
III, Page 53
1949 - 1962
was born in
Saskatchewan in October of 1926. His parents
farmed there until the 1930s. When Ben was eight his father, originally
from Wakopa, moved his family back to Manitoba, this time settling
south of Mountainside.
, Page 53
Est. about 1913
took over the
store in 1949 (see Ben Arde:
Mountainside Store Operator ) and operated it for 14 years.
Train - Prairie Style
IV, Page 29
extension of the
CN line from Adelpha on to Deloraine brought service to Mountainside
Weightman Comes to Canada
IV, Page 32
widow from Berwickshire, in northern England, and her children, arrived
at their homestead in the spring of 1882 after a fifty-six day journey
from Edinburgh, Scotland.
Breault - Adventures of a
IV, Page 52
was top secret - he and his companions at the training facility at
Yatesbury, England, couldn’t tell even their servicemen buddies what
they were working on.
Rescue of the Hathaway Thresher
IV, Page 54
was the world’s first rotary thresher, a significant departure from the
design then in use and a forerunner of the axial flow system used in
Vol.I, Page 38
School was constructed on the firebreak trail bordering the western
edge of the Turtle Mountain Forestry Reserve. As it was built on top of
a hill and could be seen for miles, it became a landmark of the area.
Vol. III , Page 43
congregations joined together and formed the Union Church, the old
fieldstone building was left empty. Since that time it has served a
multitude of purposes.