An elevator, station and Post Office between Souris and Hartney
The bridge over the Souris River is called the Menteith Bridge. The Post Office, (and thus the community) existed before the raiway. The elevator was located a few km SW of the bridge.
Post Office Locations:
NE 1/4 Sec. 7, Twp. 7, R. 22, WPM
NE Sec. 7, Twp. 7, R. 22, WPM - 1932-09-01
NW 1/2 Sec. 9, Twp. 7, R. 22, WPM
Sec. 21, Twp. 7, R. 22, WPM
Sec. 7, Twp. 7, R. 22, W1 - 1884-01-01
Dora Dodd became the postmistress of Menteith Post Office, when it was moved from Page Siding. She was postmistress for eighteen years until it closed.
Mr. Rhinehart was the agent at Page elevator. The Menteith post office was in this home until 1907.
The Menteith Post Office was in John Abrey's home from 1907-1922. It was then moved to Schwitzer where Mrs. Loberg was Postmistress.
Menteith post-office was operated out of Schwitzer for a number of years, with Mrs. Loberg as post-mistress.
Catching a train at Menteith or Schwitzer (also Page in the early years), allowed an afternoon of shopping in Souris and coming back about 4:00 pm.
Heritage Site Maps...