Robert [1863-1947] and Edith Winona Winter [1864-1912] Hunt) met at the very small hamlet of Malta located just on the edge of the Glenwood/Sifton border. William Winter, Edith’s uncle purchase a half section of land on the Souris River expecting that the railroad would pass through that area but in 1889 the CPR crossed the river further northeast and Malta soon died and Menteith was formed on the other side.
Malta was situated one mile west of Menteith in 1880. The would-be community of ten families, included a blacksmith, general store and stopping house.
When the C.P.R. built on the south side of the river, the residents all moved to form the village of Menteith. To the south of Malta a ferry operated on the Section 7.
Heritage Site Maps...