Coulter Park is a well-established tribute to the past as well as a campsite and picnic spot for today.
his fieldstone and mortar house, built in 1889 at the fork of the Souris River and South Antler Creek, was a familiar gathering place and general store. Previous to the 1967 Centennial Celebration, Alfred Gould’s son Norman donated the house and nine acres of land to the R.M. of Arthur for incorporation into the Pioneer Picnic Grounds, now known as Coulter Park. A dedication plaque has been mounted on the house.
Fraser Cabin at Coulter Park
The junction of the Antler and Souris Rivers
The paddlewheel from the Empressof Ireland, a steamboat built in nearby Coulter.
At the site of Coulter Park On July 1, 1882, the first Pioneer Picnic was attended by a few settlers and local aboriginals. A tradition was established as each year a larger group attended the Picnic. Since then, picnics have been held in the grove every summer. These gatherings used to attract thousands of locals and visitors alike, many from the United States. Bannock with syrup would be served up, along with a dinner laid out on blankets in true picnic style. Short addresses were sometimes given before a band played to liven things up.