Adelpha originated as a post office in the home of an early homesteader, John A. Hurt beside the Boundary Commission Trail south of where Boissevain would later be located. The word "Adelpha" takes after the name of local John R. Stuart's farm, which he named for the Greek word meaning "brotherly."
In 1905 the Canadian National Railway built a rail line heading southwest from Greenway into southwest Manitoba.The rail reached as far as the section to the northwest of Hurt's home and stopped there. The train station was named Adelpha and built on that section.
At the “end of the line” Adelpha became a commercial hub and center. It served as a neighbourhood shipping point. A “Y” was built at Adelpha for turning trains around so that they could head back east. Adelpha was the largest transportation center until 1914 when the CNR extended the Greenway Branch to reach Deloraine.
Heritage Site Maps...